By Crystal Nix
DeQuincy ushered in Black History Month on Martin Luther King Day at Bethel A.M.E. Church
A special commemorative poster was presented to area pastors depicting the history of the black churches in DeQuincy.
Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1914, and served as the first school for blacks. The church is currently pastored by Rev. James Harris.
Bethel A.M.E. Church was organized in 1919 in the home of an old French lady known as Aunt Corden, In 1920, under the direction of Pastor E. J. Evans, land was purchased and a new church was built.
Black Catholics were served by priests from Lake Charles as early as 1902. Mass was conducted in various homes until 1922, when Our Lady of LaSalette Catholic Church was built on Harrison St., where both black and whites worshiped together.
Greater Mt. Zion Baptist Church was organized in 1924, and is currently pastored by Rev. Marvin Duggan.
First Church of God In Christ was organized in 1928. The original structure was on Jefferson St. A new building was constructed in 1988 at 621 Grand Ave. St. Elder Clifton David is pastor.
Mt. Pilgrim Baptist Church existed from 1944-1954, until it merged with Evergreen and Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
Other black churches in DeQuincy are SureHouse Ministry, established in 2008, pastored by Rev. Viney Silas; Miracle Deliverance, established 1991; Morning Star Baptist Church, pastored by Rev. Jack London and Guiding Light Church of God in Christ, established in 2011, and is pastored by Elder Gary Skinner.