Lyons Lumber celebrates 90th anniversary
Lyons Lumber and Coal, Co. will be celebrating its 90th anniversary in business on Friday, Dec. 12, with a free meal at 11 a.m. Door prizes will be given. Also a cash and carry sale (see ad elsewhere in this issue) is going on through Saturday, Dec. 13.
It is the third oldest continuously operating business in DeQuincy and the oldest independent lumber dealer in southwest Louisiana.
It was established in 1924 when C. E. Cline bought out G. C. Brown's share of Lyons Planing Mill and became partners with Dr. George Lyons. The business was renamed Lyons Lumber and Coal, Co.
Cline was a 29-year-old lumber salesman at Powell Lumber in Lake Charles when he closed the deal on the DeQuincy business Saturday, Nov. 1, 1924. The next day he celebrated his 30th birthday, thus fulfilling his dream to have his own business by the time he was 30. He moved his wife and daughter, Marion, from Lake Charles to DeQuincy. Cline managed the company until his death in 1972. He bought out Dr. Lyons' share of the business in 1941.
Lyons Lumber originally had an office and a small shed located on Coward St. They built an office on Harrison Street in 1925, across the road from Kraus and Managan Lumber. K&M sold out to Lyons Lumber in 1935. The facilities on both sides of the street have expanded over the years, as has the stock. In May, 2000, the main office burned down. The current building was opened in December 2000.
Cline's daughter, Marion, married J. G. Vinson. Upon Cline's death in 1972, Vinson became the president of the company and co-managed it with Dennis McNamara.
In 1978, Jimmy Wayne Robertson, husband of Carla Jean Vinson, joined the business. After J. G. Vinson and Dennis McNamara retired in 1990, Robertson became the president and manger of Lyons Lumber.
His son, Joe Robertson, joined the firm in 1995 and currently manages the business.