The Lyons - Mazilly House at 301 Hall Street was built in 1906 on a parcel of land purchased from Edgewood Land and Logging Company, which was between Velmer Street and Yoakum Avenue (north and south) and Division Street and Perkins Street (east and west). Dr. George Lyons who built the house was one of the first doctors in DeQuincy.
The original house had six rooms and is of the Queen Anne - Eastlake style. It has a large porch, which surrounds the front and north sides of the house with six turned posts supporting the roof. The original rooms all had 12' ceilings.
Mrs. Lyons passed away in 1950 and Dr. Lyons sold the property shortly thereafter. It was subsequently owned by several individuals and was vacant for many years. The house deteriorated, became home to hundreds of pigeons, and declined to a deplorable condition.
In 1973 the current owners acquired the property. During the restoration, which lasted about a year, a stairway was added in the living room, and two large rooms and a bath were added in the prior attic space. The music room at the front of the house has a large bay window, which accommodates a parlor grand piano. A large fireplace with a white marble mantel was added in the music room.
The front hall entrance door, which is original to the house, has a floral design etched in a glass panel. Originally there were large pocket doors and French doors with gingerbread trim above that separated the music room and living room. During the restoration, the French doors were moved to the dining room and kitchen and the gingerbread ornamentation now separates the kitchen and breakfast room. A butler pantry connects the kitchen and dining room.
In later renovations a library was added where a second stairway serves the rear of the house, and gingerbread trim from the front hall was used in the balcony railing above the library. A large family room and a screened porch have been added and overlook the rear lawn and pool. An additional stairway has been constructed to provide access from the second floor sitting room to the lower garage.
The house, which now has fifteen rooms and four fireplaces, is now home to Dottie and Ronald Mazilly and their daughter Julie.